Saturday, May 17, 2014

My Wedding Day Fragrance and Scent Memories

Your wedding day is one of the most important and most special days of your life (if not the most important and most special!). Weddings represent new beginnings, happiness, and the joining of lives and of families. Your wedding day is one of the happiest moments in a girl’s life and needless to say is worth remembering.

Scent is so strongly linked to memory. Back in high school I wore Angel’s Breath cologne to death (and back then, almost everybody in school wore it to death). Whenever I get a whiff of this now, instantaneously, I am brought back to days of soirees, my guitar playing, Nirvana and Pearl Jam, trading letters (yep, no cellphones to text my friends back and forth – just good ol’ written correspondences), cassette tapes, and just great memories with my lifelong girlfriends whom I met some 20 years ago.
Angel's Breath Cologne. Anyone remember this from the late 80's/early 90's?

Back in 2009, I went to a big outlet sale where different companies come together and sell their  products for a lot less (i'm talking like 50-70% off here!), about four times a year. One of these was a local distributor of luxury cosmetics and fragrances. Five years ago, I went for the first time, and not only did I get a perfume fix on that day, I also found my wedding perfume.

I approached the counter and immediately was overwhelmed by the countless testers! There were brands like Burberry, Salvatore Ferragamo, Guerlain, to name a few. The addict in me went on manic mode. Spritz after spritz, sniffing coffee beans in between (for whatever that was worth), I was probably there for more than an hour.

Finally I settled on two fragrances, Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Charms, and Bvlgari Rose Essentielle. Rose Essentielle was one of those scents which on first sniff, I was in love with and immediately I decided to buy it. Never mind that the beautiful bottle was a classic pale pink number, which I adore, but the juice inside smelt just as fantastic.

My beloved Bvlgari Rose Essentielle.

Fragrantica describes the top notes of this scent as having two different types of roses - the Turkish Rose, which offers a deep vibe and Rose Prelude which has a more greenish aroma. The heart is composed of blackberry with violet and jasmine, while sandalwood and patchouli dance in its base. The "green" rose was definitely there, and the splashes of fruit I also do detect. Never has it turned sour on me while wearing it,  and even smells even better as the day goes on. I don't want to get all technical because I've mentioned before, I am not a fragrance expert. So why did I choose this? To me, it was just the most beautiful thing I've ever smelled, and it reminded me of elegance and lace and happiness -- everything just perfect for that day when I would say "I do".

That day came 2 years later, and it was the most beautiful day. I reserve wearing Rose Essentielle for special occasions, and everytime I do I am reminded of being in my wedding gown (painstakingly handmade by my cousin), walking down the aisle and marrying the man of my dreams surrounded by friends and family, and memories overflowing with love.

What was your wedding day scent/What would you want your wedding fragrance to be?



No comments:

Post a Comment